School of Natural Sciences
University of California, Merced
2012–14: Post-Doctoral Fellow, Simon Fraser University
Advisor: Jon Moore
2006–12: Ph.D. Dept. Ecology and Evol. Biology
University of California, Santa Cruz
Thesis- The structure of mammalian food webs: Interpreting, predicting, and updating estimates of species interactions in paleontological and modern communities.
Advisor Troika: Paul Koch, Marc Mangel, Jim Estes
External Committee Member- Paulo R. Guimaraes Jr.
2000–04: Bachelors of Science, Kent State University
Yeakel J.D., Kempes C.P., Redner S. The dynamics of starvation and recovery. In review at PNAS. ArXiv version
E. Delmas, M. Besson, M.-H. Brice, L. Burkle, G. V Dalla Riva, M.-J. Fortin, D. Gravel, P. Guimar~aes, D. Hembry, E. Newman, J.M. Olesen, M. Pires, J.D. Yeakel, T. Poisot. Analyzing ecological networks of species interactions. BioRxiv. doi:https://doi.org/10.1101/112540.
Dominy N.J., Yeakel J.D.. Frankenstein and the horrors of competitive exclusion. Bioscience. doi:10.1093/biosci/biw133.
Novak M., Yeakel J.D., Noble A.E., Doak D.F., Emmerson M., Estes J.A., Jacob U., Tinker M.T., Wootton J.T. Characterizing species interactions: What is the community matrix? Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, 47. Available in December, 2016.
Dominy N.J., Yeakel J.D., Bhat U., Ramsden L., Wrangham R.W., Lucas P.W. How chimpanzees integrate sensory information to select figs. Journal of the Royal Society Interface Focus, 6, 20160001.
Yeakel J.D., Bhat U., Elliott Smith E.A., Newsome S.D. Exploring the isotopic niche: isotopic variance, physiological incorporation, and the temporal dynamics of foraging. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 4, 2188.
Crowley B, Melin A.D., Yeakel J.D., Dominy N.J. Oxygen isotope values reflect the ecology and physiology of Neotropical mammals. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 3, 1-8.
Galetti M., Guevara R., Neves C. L., Rodarte R. R., Bovendorp, R. S. Moreira M., Hopkins III, J. B., Yeakel, J. D. Defaunation affects the populations and diets of rodents in Neotropical rainforests. Biological Conservation, 190, 2-7.
Yeakel, J. D., Dunne, J. A. Modern lessons from ancient food webs. American Scientist, 103, 188-195.
Moore J. W., Beakes M., Nesbitt H. K., Yeakel, J. D., Patterson D., Thompson L., Phillis C., Braun D., Favaro C., Scott D., Carr-Harris C., Atlas W. Emergent stability in a large free-flowing watershed. Ecology, 96(2), 340-347. doi:10.1890/14-0326.1
- Yeakel, J. D., Pires, M. M., Rudolf, L., Dominy, N. J., Koch, P. L., Guimarães, P. R., Jr, & Gross, T. Recovering ecological pattern and process in Ancient Egypt Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, pg 201422546. doi:10.1073/pnas.1422646112.
Yeakel, J. D., Pires, M. M., Rudolf, L., Dominy, N. J., Koch, P. L., Guimarães, P. R., Jr, & Gross, T. Collapse of an ecological network in Ancient Egypt. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(40), 14472–14477. doi:10.1073/pnas.1408471111 Blog Post
Moore, J. W., Yeakel, J. D., Peard, D., Lough, J., & Beere, M. Life-history diversity and its importance to population stability and persistence of a migratory fish: steelhead in two large North American watersheds. Journal of Animal Ecology doi:10.1111/1365-2656.12212 Blog Post
Yeakel, J. D., Moore, J. W., Guimarães, P. R., Jr, & de Aguiar, M. A. M. (2014). Synchronisation and stability in river metapopulation networks. Ecology Letters 17(3), 273–283. doi:10.1111/ele.12228 Blog Post
Yeakel, J. D., & Mangel, M. A generalized perturbation approach for exploring stock recruitment relationships. Theoretical Ecology 1–13. doi:10.1007/s12080-014-0230-z Blog Post
- Yeakel, J. D., Dominy, N. J., Koch, P. L., & Mangel, M. Functional morphology, stable isotopes, and human evolution: a model of consilience. Evolution 68, 190–203. doi:10.1111/evo.12240 Blog Post
Yeakel, J. D., Guimarães, P. R., Jr, Bocherens, H., & Koch, P. L. The impact of climate change on the structure of Pleistocene food webs across the mammoth steppe. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 280(1762), 20130239–20130239. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2007.09.059 Blog Post
Yeakel, J. D., Guimarães, P. R., Jr, Novak, M., Fox-Dobbs, K., & Koch, P. L. Probabilistic patterns of interaction: the effects of link-strength variability on food web structure. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 9(77), 3219–3228. doi:10.1073/pnas.192407699
Moritz, G. L., Fourie, N., Yeakel, J. D., Phillips-Conroy, J. E., Jolly, C. J., Koch, P. L., & Dominy, N. J. Baboons, Water, and the Ecology of Oxygen Stable Isotopes in an Arid Hybrid Zone. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 85(5), 421–430. doi:10.1086/667533
Newsome, S. D., Yeakel, J. D., Wheatley, P. V., & Tinker, M. T. Tools for quantifying isotopic niche space and dietary variation at the individual and population level. Journal of Mammalogy 93(2), 329–341.
Yeakel, J. D., Novak, M., Guimarães, P. R., Jr, Dominy, N. J., Koch, P. L., Ward, E. J., et al. Merging resource availability with isotope mixing models: the role of neutral interaction assumptions. PLoS ONE 6(7), e22015. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0022015.t002
Yeakel, J. D., Stiefs, D., Novak, M., & Gross, T. Generalized modeling of ecological population dynamics. Theoretical Ecology 4(2), 179–194. doi:10.1007/s12080-011-0112-6
Yeakel, J. D., Patterson, B. D., Fox-Dobbs, K., Okumura, M., Cerling, T., Moore, J., et al. Cooperation and individuality among man-eating lions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 106, 19040–19043. doi:10.1073/pnas.0905309106
Dominy, N. J., Vogel, E. R., Yeakel, J. D., Constantino, P. J., & Lucas, P. W. Mechanical properties of plant underground storage organs and implications for dietary models of early hominins. Evolutionary Biology 35(3), 159–175. doi:10.1007/s11692-008-9026-7
- Yeakel, J. D., Bennett, N. C., Koch, P. L., & Dominy, N. J. The isotopic ecology of African mole rats informs hypotheses on the evolution of human diet. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 274(1619), 1723–1730. doi:10.1098/rspb.2007.0330
- University of California, Merced. Ecological networks over time and space: from species interactions to community dynamics. March 2014.
- University of New Mexico. Ecological networks over time and space: from species interactions to community dynamics. February 2014.
- Santa Fe Institute. The emergence and evolution of food webs over space and time. January 2014.
- Oregon State University. Collapse of an ecological network: reconstructing the decline of an Ancient Egyptian food web. January 2014.
- University of Wyoming. Synchronization, stability, and flow in structured metapopulations. December 2013.
- University of Chicago. Collapse of an Ancient Egyptian food web. December 2013.
- Washington State University, Pullman. Ecological networks over time and space: from species interaction to community dynamics. June, 2013.
- University of California, Santa Cruz. Estimating the degree of compensation from short-term fluctuations in fish biomass. November, 2012.
- University of Wyoming. Unraveling an ecological network: Reconstructing the decline of ancient Egyptian food webs. September, 2012
- Simon Fraser University. The structure of Mammoth-Steppe food-webs: ecological coherence and the dietary habits of Neanderthals. November, 2011.
- Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems, Dresden Germany. The structure of modern and Pleistocene predator-prey networks. August, 2010.
- University of California, Berkeley. The adaptive response of grazing monkeys to aridification in Africa. October, 2007.
- Kent State University. Paleo-dietary ecology: Did hominins utilize underground storage organs? November, 2006.
Fellowships and Grants
- Omidyar Postdoctoral Fellowship, Santa Fe Institute; June 2014 $210,000
- Regents Fellowship (UCSC): Awarded 2011 $30000
- UCSC Dissertation-Year Fellowship: Runner-Up; Spring, 2011
- Deans Fellowship (UCSC): Awarded 2010 $30000
- Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics (IGPP) Grant; Winter 2008 $5,000
- Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Travel Award; Fall 2007 $300
- 2007 UCSC Graduate Research Symposium: Honorable Mention
- Committee on Research Grant- SRG (ghostwriter w/ PL Koch) (Spring 2007) $11,960
- Committee on Research Grant- FRG (ghostwriter w/ NJ Dominy) (Spring 2007) $2,500
- Friends of Long Marine Lab Research Grant (Fall 2006) $800
- Department of Anthropology Internal Research Grant (Fall 2006) $800
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship; 2006 $90000
Professional and Meeting Presentations
- Dynamics Of and On Networks. Santa Fe Institute. December 2014 (Talk)
- Geological Society of America. October 2014
- Networks on Networks Working Group. Göttingen, Germany. September 2014 (Talk)
- IDEAS Symposium; Simon Fraser University. January 2014 (Talk)
- Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting. August 2013 (Talk)
- IDEAS Symposium; Simon Fraser University. December 2012 (Talk)
- Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting. August 2012 (Talk)
- Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting. August 2011 (Talk)
- American Fisheries Society. September 2011 (Talk)
- 2010 Species Interaction Workshop; Santa Cruz, CA. December 2010 (Talk)
- UCSC Graduate Research Symposium. May 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 (Talk)
- 2009 Species Interaction Workshop; Stanford CA. December 2009 (Talk)
- Carnivore Conference; Defenders of Wildlife. November 2009 (Talk)
- Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting. August 2009 (Talk)
- 26th Annual Physiological Ecology Meeting. June 2008 (Talk)
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists. April 2008 (Poster)
- Society of Integrative and Comparative Biology. Jan. 2008 (Talk)
- Society of Vertebrate Paleontology. Oct. 2007 (Talk)
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists. March 2007 (Talk)
- UCSC Plant Sciences Symposium. Feb. 2007, 2009 (Talk)
- Applications of Stable Isotope Techniques to Ecological Studies. August 2006 (Poster)
- Society of Vertebrate Paleontology. Oct. 2005 (Talk)
Service – Refereed Journals
- Nature Communications
- Ecology Letters
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
- Methods in Ecology and Evolution
- Fisheries Research
- Theoretical Ecology
- Ecology and Evolution
- Biological Conservation
- IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics
- Canadian Journal of Zoology
- Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta
- PloS One
- Journal of Archaeological Science
Service – Refereed Grant Agencies
- European Research Council (2014)
- Nature News
- (2013) “Ancient art fills in Egypt’s ecological history”
- (2009) “Lions’ taste for human flesh dissected”
- (2007) “Human ancestors went underground for dinner”
- Science News
- (2014) “Clues to animal extinctions found on the walls of Egyptian tombs”
- (2009) “A body count for two man-eating lions”
- Smithsonian (2014) “Egypt’s mammal extinctions tracked through 6000 years of art”
- NBC News (2014) “Ancient Egyptian art opens window on mammal extinctions”
- Popular Archeology (2014) “Study shows how ecology transformed through 6000 years of Egyptian history”
- Discovery News
- Chicago Sun Times
- Chicago Tribune
- Science Daily
- Telegraph (UK)
- San Francisco Chronicle (2007) “UC student roots out clues to pre-human species’ diets”
- Archaeology Magazine
- Christian Science Monitor
- National Public Radio: All Things Considered
- CBC Radio: As It Happens
- Santa Cruz KZSC